The images in this post were mainly taken in the 1970’s and show the Scottish Railway Preservation Society’s Springfield Railway Yard, Wallace Street, Falkirk.
In 1961 the Scottish Railway Preservation Society was founded. In 1964 the Society opened a base at Falkirk, where it’s ever-expanding collection of railway rolling stock and equipment was amassed.
Their collection was housed in the former transit shed for iron castings, which was a steel-framed and corrugated-iron-clad structure built by the North British Railway c.1870.
The corrugated iron shed was, at first, thought far too large for the Society’s collection, however, as the following images show, it was soon full to overflowing with magnificent material!
Later the adjacent railway sidings were leased from British Rail and some of the locomotives in the collection restored to running order.
From its earliest days, the Society aspired to use the collection, and its volunteers’ skills, to operate a public railway, on which the collection could be demonstrated in a more authentic working environment. After many years of searching for a suitable site, the Society started work at Bo’ness in 1979.
As part of Falkirk’s urban redevelopment plans in the late 1980’s the corrugated iron depot was demolished and all of the rolling stock was moved to Bo’ness. Now only the photographs remain – but what an amazing Aladdin’s Cave of a place it must have been!