Horse Boating on the BCN: Ryder’s Green

20130415-083452.jpg
An atmospheric shot at the outlying bottom lock of the eight lock flight at Ryder’s Green. The lock is set and the horse, just out of shot on the right hand side, has taken up the slack and is hauling the boat forward. (This caption is based on the text found on pg. 86 of Paul Collins’ wonderfully evocative book Black Country Canals. Photo: Black Country Society)
Advertisements

Along the Fairford Branch

The Fairford Branch was built in two stages by two separate private companies. The Witney Railway Co. was formed locally after the residents of the prosperous blanket making town were repeatedly thwarted in their attempts to get connected to the booming railway network during the early Victorian era by the locally dominant Great Western Railway Co. On 23 December 1858 a meeting led to the formation of the independent Witney Railway Co. and royal assent was granted to a bill to build a line on from the Oxford, Worcester & Wolverhampton Railway at Yarnton to Witney on 1 August 1859.

Continue reading “Along the Fairford Branch”

Horse boating on the BCN: Dudley No. 2 Canal

20130408-123256.jpg
1954, on the Dudley No.2 Canal looking from St. Peter’s Road towards Northfield Road at Windmill End. The horse is walking along Canalside, and is about to cross the roving bridge over the junction with the Withymoor Branch Canal (photo by R.J. Little / Dudley Archives text based on information found on page 99 of Black Country Canals by Paul Collins)

Middleton Top Engine Shed

7129164425_01166bd25d_z
Middleton Top Site from the slag heap. April 1967. Note the then ‘roofless’ engine shed adjacent to the engineers house. (Photo: John Evens)

This is the second in a series of posts about wrinkled tin or corrugated iron structures found on Britain’s railways.

For this post I’m returning home to Derbyshire and a fascinating location – Middleton Top – on the uplands above Middleton-by-Wirksworth.

Continue reading “Middleton Top Engine Shed”

Horse Boating on BCN – Camp Hill Flight

DSC03163
Post No. 2  A horse drawn Birmingham Corporation Refuse & Salvage Department boat, in March 1964, leaving Hen Row Lock (No, 53) on the Camp Hill flight (Warwickshire & Birmingham Canal) and into Sandy Lane Lock (No, 54). The horse is about to pass into the shadow cast by the bridge that carried the railway line from Birmingham Moor Street to Leamington. Interestingly the boat is being towed backwards. Although this is a cabin boat the boat it may well have had an upright stem and stern thereby facilitating the ‘elum’ or rudder being hung from either end which saved the need for the boat being turned. What can be clearly seen in this image is the leaning towing mast which would be stepped in different positions, and at different angles, to help counteract the effects of the horse and/or the wind blowing a boat into or out from the bank. (Photo by: Philip Weaver)

BCN Tugs Series: Caggy

This is the sixth installment in a new series of posts about BCN tugs. Other posts in the series list below can be accessed by clicking the ‘Introduction’ link :

1. Introduction
2. Tug Portrait: Enterprise No. 1
3. Tug Portrait: Bittel
4. Tug Portrait: James Loader
5. Tug Portrait: Judith Anne
6. Tug Portrait: Caggy (this post)

Continue reading “BCN Tugs Series: Caggy”